Hello and welcome to my blog! If you're new here or visiting from my Instagram post, thanks for stopping by :)
Today I've got a free 10" quilt blocked tutorial called "Full Heart" for you. It features a heart within a heart and the possibility for quilt layouts and color combinations are endless! I hope you'll enjoy this simple tutorial, if you'd like to save it for later please click here to access the PDF.
Please use #fullheartblock on social media to share your creations! :)
Pieces for ONE block:
2 - 5 1/2" squares
1 - 2 1/2" square
4 - 1 1/2" squares
1- 5 1/2" x 3 1/5" rectangle
1- 2 1/2" x 3 1/5" rectangle
1 - 5 1/2" square
2 - 2 1/2" squares
2 - 2" squares
TIP: Chain piecing will make the process go much faster!
1/4" seams used throughout.
- Beginning with your (2) Purple 5 1/2" squares, ADD one White 2 1/2" square to the top right corner of one Purple square, then add one to the top left corner on the opposite Purple square - sew at the diagonal to create half-square triangles on the corners.
- Next, add the (2) White 2" squares on opposite corners of the large Purple squares you've just sewn - also sewing at the diagonal to create half-square triangles on the corners. You should now have two large Purple squares that look like the ones pictured above.
- Attach the single large 5 1/2" White square to the right side of your top Purple square as shown above - make sure the seam is sewn on the side of the purple square containing the 2" HST.
- Now, add (2) Purple 1 1/2" squares to the top of your Pink 5 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangle, sewing at at the diagonal to create HST's. (ensure you attach both to the 3 1/2" side)
- Repeat for Pink 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangle, except this time you'll be sewing the two smaller 1 1/2" purple squares to the long side of the rectangle.
- Attach your Purple 2 1/2" square to the top of the short pink rectangle, ensuring that the HST corners are on the right side as shown.
- Attach both pink rectangle blocks lengthwise, then add your final 5 1/2" Purple square to the right side of those blocks.
- You should now have two main pieces left to put together. Attach the Purple / White rectangle piece to the top of the piece containing the smaller pink heart and you're finished!
- Trim to 10" square.
Note: the white square on these blocks provides a great area for embroidery, especially if you're using this as a charity block to be donated to make a quilt for someone in need. You could easily add your name, city / state, or other information!
Many of you experienced quilters will be able to do this tutorial without the Instruction steps. Simply look at the diagram :) I hope this tutorial was explained well enough for you - as always feel free to leave comments or concerns or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.